Sunday, October 6, 2013

Crafty Bastards

This past weekend two of my friends from school came to visit me.  They have visited a few times before.  So I knew taking them to the monuments again was out of the question.  Thus I was faced with a typical problem for a lot of D.C.ers: what to do with repeat visitors. 

So Opal and Pearl’s[1] bus arrived Friday right on time (well done Boltbus).  I searched the Internet for events in D.C., and found a few events like D.C. Veg Fest, Art All Night, and Crafty Bastards.  I presented the options and Opal and Pearl opted for Crafty Bastards in Union Market.

I was excited about the choice because I had never been to Union Market (I know I know, but see the reason for the blog).  It was 5 bucks to get in, and overall a fun event.  There were a lot of great artists, a general obsession with octopi (new big thing in hipster fashion, I guess?), and holiday gift ideas.  I think the best options for my taste came from the artists selling jewelry and bags.

One of my favorite art booths was Alternative Histories they had some really fun takes on what monsters and zombies would do to famous landmarks.  Their Washington D.C. print was great.  I really loved the jewelry at Fern Works.  No clue how they made it look like the plants were floating, but it is beautiful.  I also loved the jewelry of Loyalty and Blood because I love geometric jewelry and their products were vey well made.  I liked two booths that were selling bags, Shara Porter Designs and Red Staggerwing.  I especially loved Shara Porter Designs’ cross body bag (and its Vegan!).       

Also, Union Market is a great area.  It has a lot of neat shops, restaurants, coffee bars, juice bars, and a great outside seating area. If you have not visited, use your next free afternoon to go down and roam the market (furlough activity!).

Crafty Bastards is put on yearly by the Washington City Paper.   If you missed it this year, you should put a reminder in your calendar for next September.

P.S. – Not only am I learning about Washington D.C., but I’m also learning how to blog.  Lesson learned from post 1: I need to take pictures.  So my apologies for the picture free post!  Next time, I promise! Until then, please enjoy the picture of the great reusable bag I received from the fair (thanks Crafty Bastards):






[1] All names have been changed.  Also, my friends chose their own pseudonyms, so blame them.

No comments:

Post a Comment